This command is used to enable Constant Surface Speed (CSS) mode in lathe version.
Syntax & Parameters
- G96 followed by D & S values.
- D Value - This is to set the maximum spindle RPM that the spindle can achieve in CSS mode as the tool gets closer to the center.
- S Value - To set surface speed value. The units will be the current machine units in use. Metric uses meters per minute. Imperial uses feet per minute.
N10 G21 N20 G0 X50 N30 G96 D12000 S200 N40 M3 N50 G1 X1 F80
- In the above example CSS mode is enabled with a surface speed of 200 meters per second and the maximum RPM is set to 12000.
- The X axis starts at X 20 from the center and moves towards the center at a feed rate of 80mm/min. Spindle speed starts at a calculated 3185 rpm and the speed increases the closer it moves to the spindle center. It reaches the specified maximum of 12000 rpm 5.2mm from the center at which time the speed remains at 12000rpm until the X axis reaches the final position of 1mm.
INFORMATION: Units are defined as either inches or mm depending on your machines setup or G20 or G21 command in use.